WORK IN PROGRESS, this is not guaranteed to work

I backed-up/coppied the "C:/Program Files(x86)/Atari/Test Drive Unlimited" folder and "C:/Users/me/My Documents/Test Drive Unlimited/" folders (that i had installed on Windows) to my external HDD and then used them on Linux. I had to do it because the game installer on Linux somehow not completed saying "Error 1311. Source file not found: 1. Verify that the file exist and that you can access it."
0132:fixme:ntdll:NtFsControlFile FSCTL_PIPE_IMPERSONATE: impersonating self
019b:err:ole:ClientRpcChannelBuffer_SendReceive called from wrong apartment, should have been 0x13100000132
019b:err:ole:xCall RpcChannelBuffer SendReceive failed, 8001010e
The tutorial on how i made it running on Linux using my Windows Program Files and Documents backup:

I was having Windows on my PC and i

1. downloaded Linux .iso image of the MX Linux from https://mxlinux.org/download-links

2. Downloaded Rufus application https://rufus.ie and launched it while i added at least 4GB USB stick/flash disk to my port. In Rufus i selected "Partition scheme" as MBR (as i have old BIOS in computer), other things i left default ticking option to format USB drive (erase all data on it) - make sure you working with correct drive, not to format wrong one. And i proceed and Rufus created Live Linux bootable flash disk.
(If you have no experience with installing operating systems (or dual boot HDD), you should backup your important data on system HDD (if there is system. If it is not, it is ok) and or disconnect non system HDDs to prevent accidentally erasing something.)

3. reboot and hit F12 and or F10 key to show boot source right after PC start. If you can not select your Linux USB as a boot source and or Windows is booting, restart againa nd hit "Del" key or other key to enter BIOS. There you may try disabling so called Secure boot and set booting order the way USB is above HDD, you may need to set it on two places.

4. Once you get to boot from Linux USB created by Rufus, you will see menu to boot into MX Linux. Once done, you can click icon to proceed with installation. If have questions, use your phone or other device to find answers on Google or such. Installation is finished and you should have dual boot system (if you had Windows or other OS installed before Linux installation). Boot into Linux.

5. In Linux, enter application called Terminal/Terminal emulator. There execute Linux commands (line after line) to install Wine (software that will help run some Windows apps including Test Drive Unlimited):

sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
added: "deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ DISTRO main"

into /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list

(!! DISTRO being either wheezy, jessie, stretch, buster or sid ... ; i used stretch, because that was what i seen when i did command "sudo apt-get update")
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging

(above mentioned Wine installation steps are taken from https://wiki.winehq.org/Download)

Another useful or necessary packages for gaming on Linux, execute command:

sudo apt-get install winehq-staging, winetricks playonlinux libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libtxc-dxtn-s2tc:i386;winetricks directx9

("winetricks directx9" is command to install directX which is required by games)

6. copy your TDU1 savegame data (on Window usually located in C:/Users/username/My Documents/Test Drive Unlimited/) to be in your Linux documents path, example in my case path is like this: /home/mylinuxusername/Documents/Test Drive Unlimited/savegame/mytduusername/

7. Attach to your computer a drive that contains your installed Test Drive Unlimited files that are usually located in "C:/Program Files(x86)/Atari/Test Drive Unlimited" folder. Find the path to that "Test Drive Unlimited" folder and go to it via Terminal application in your Linux. In my case, command: cd "/media/mylinuxusername/sda1/Program Files (x86)/Atari/Test Drive Unlimited"
(including quotation marks because of the space in the path)

8. Launch the game using command: wine "/media/yourlinuxusername/sda1/Program Files (x86)/Atari/Test Drive Unlimited"/paradise_launcher.exe

in the game, just enter your username (the one that match folder name in ...Documents/Test Drive Unlimited/savegame/) and tick the GameSpy tickbox. No e-mail, password.

Game may not start for various reasons. Best is to copy and google the errors.

One error was "002c:err:d3d:wined3d_resource_allocate_sysmem Failed to allocate system memory."
But i do not know the cause.

-----------------
Following lines are there just for a backup, do not follow them.

6. insert Test Drive Unlimited DVD into computer or use .iso image of the TDU1 disc that you will mount as a directory. I had .iso (some can be certainly found on the internet) and i mounted my .iso like this:
(1) i find full path to my .iso (in my case: /media/me/88B8-AC7A/tdu1my.iso)
(2) then i created new directory called "tdudisk" on a HDD where is 4GB+ disk space (in my case path of this dir: /media/me/DATA/tdudisk/)
(3) then i mounted my .iso to the directory i created: mount -o loop /media/me/88B8-AC7A/tdu1my.iso /media/me/DATA/tdudisk/
(4) now i go to the tdudisk directory by executing command: cd /media/me/DATA/tdudisk/
(5) then i list contents to see Autorun.exe and others, good, i try to launch installer by command: wine /media/me/DATA/ISOs/Autorun.exe