Your Ad can be there
+ Post New Thread

Thread: cPanel vs DirectAdmin - what hosting provider and the user says

Administrator

cPanel vs DirectAdmin - what hosting provider and the user says

Comparing DirectAdmin and cPanel? This is what says one hosting provider (who manage DirectAdmin dedicated servers for some month/s):

"I am going to be completely frank with you here. DirectAdmin is garbage compared to cPanel, it will always be garbage compared to cPanel and it is a very difficult product to work with. We recommend clients only use DirectAdmin if they absolutely cannot afford cPanel. With that said, DirectAdmin has many features missing compared to cPanel ... I am quite annoyed with how slow DirectAdmin development is and have come to accept it will never be anything close to what cPanel is which is why a good portion of our clients are still on cPanel."

From my user perspective: DirectAdmin is OK. I can not say i am badly missing any feature, but there are small things that makes your experience a bit worse - you have to spend more time:

- interface (Evolution skin) is usually a bit slower than cPanel (especially File manager of the Evolution skin. + does not allow enough condensed/space saving design)
    - need to switch between domains - not all are visible at same time
    - No automatic webmail login to default account
    - File manager unable to input path where to move/file folder. Have to browse to proper directory
    - No AutoSSL (is not automatically enabled Let's encrypt on all new accounts/domains that are without cert.)
    - Absence of the good migration tool from cP to DA (check "Some highlights:" paragraph here)

Is this useful / helpfull? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Fli View Post
    - interface (Evolution skin) is usually slower than cPanel (especialy File manager of the Evolution skin)
    I think it's related to disk space count there. Please make sure you use 1.59.4 to have gzip enabled by default for the skin to make it run faster. I think it'd be possible to make FileManager much faster, if used disk space for every folder isn't needed.

How would you create domain-specific email or FTP account, for example? If there is no domain selection.

- No automatic login into PHPMyAdmin - you have to have saved DA credentials that you input into phpmyadmin login form
    This is available since 1.59, but optional. See the changelog entry ID 2473.

- File manager has more complicated file/folder moving (can not define destination path right away, have to use annoying "clipboard")
    - File manager paging issue
    - File manager - can not apply recursive permissions (only on folders or only on files)
    These might be improved in near future.

- No AutoSSL (no automaticaly enabling Let's encrypt on all new accounts/domains that are without cert.
    At this moment autoletsencrypt script should be used, but "Admin SSL" feature is coming soon (to have it integrated into UI).

- Absence of the good migration tool from cP to DA
    Any cpmove-*.tar.gz backup can be restored directly in DirectAdmin, without any other steps done.

Thank you for the feedback.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by smtalk View Post
    use 1.59.4 to have gzip enabled by default for the skin to make it run faster.
    Yes, i am using it, hopefuly the speed will be improved. Now it is too slow. I think devs would do better using old filemanager which actions are instant, no waiting and building on top of it

How would you create domain-specific email or FTP account, for example? If there is no domain selection.
    Domain switching is not convenient (hard to find in the corner and slow as it needs page reloading). See how cpanel does it. They do not have any switch menu that would require page reload and where other hosted domains are hidden. They usually have everything on one page, using filtering search fields and drop down menus without page reload.

This is available since 1.59, but optional.
    Thanks, indeed, but the devs missed the PHPMyAdmin icon in the main/root section, they added autologin only into sub section MySQL Management.

Any cpmove-*.tar.gz backup can be restored directly in DirectAdmin, without any other steps done.
    maybe, but i am not aware there would be any integrated tool that would work without bugs. My provider is using some script or tool, but it failed in several aspects:
    https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=59025
    https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=59049
    https://forum.directadmin.com/showthread.php?t=59048
    Also i would welcome if i can restore such a cP fullbackup as a reseller, not admin/root.

Thank you for the feedback.
    Thank you too

Since 2006, cPanel has been the leading control panel for web hosting companies. It offers a wide variety of features and customization options, making it an ideal platform for managing a company’s website and server. DirectAdmin, by contrast, is a popular admin panel offered by many hosting companies. It has many similarities to cPanel, but also some key differences that could make it a better choice for certain businesses.
    cPanel is definitely more popular. According to Web Hosting Review, it's used by 78% of all web hosts in use today. This popularity means that there are definitely people who have had success using cPanel, but it may not be the right solution for everyone.

Comparing DirectAdmin and cPanel? This is what says one hosting provider (who manage DirectAdmin dedicated servers for some month/s):

"I am going to be completely frank with you here. DirectAdmin is garbage compared to cPanel, it will always be garbage compared to cPanel and it is a very difficult product to work with. We recommend clients only use DirectAdmin if they absolutely cannot afford cPanel. With that said, DirectAdmin has many features missing compared to cPanel ... I am quite annoyed with how slow DirectAdmin development is and have come to accept it will never be anything close to what cPanel is which is why a good portion of our clients are still on cPanel."

From my user perspective: DirectAdmin is OK. I can not say i am badly missing any feature, but there are small things that makes your experience a bit worse - you have to spend more time:

- interface (Evolution skin) is usually a bit slower than cPanel (especially File manager of the Evolution skin. + does not allow enough condensed/space saving design)
    - No automatic webmail login to default account
    - File manager unable to input path where to move/file folder. Have to browse to proper directory
    - No AutoSSL (is not automatically enabled Let's encrypt on all new accounts/domains that are without cert.)
    - Absence of the good migration tool from cP to DA (check "Some highlights:" paragraph here)

Hello Fli,

There are many different web hosting control panels available, but two of the most popular are cPanel and DirectAdmin. Both have their own pros and cons, so it's essential to choose the one that's right for your needs. cPanel is known for its ease of use, while DirectAdmin offers more advanced features. cPanel is also more widely used, so you may find it easier to find support and tutorials if you go with this option.

cPanel and DirectAdmin are both web hosting control panels. They allow users to manage their websites and servers. cPanel is the most popular control panel, while DirectAdmin is less popular. However, DirectAdmin is easier to use than cPanel. It has a more user-friendly interface and simpler features. cPanel is more complex and has more features than DirectAdmin

The major difference is they both provide a server configuration framework and UI, but DirectAdmin leaves quite a bit of the work to be done in the root shell. While cPanel offers nearly all the configuration and functionality within the UI

cPanel is user-friendly and intuitive, while DirectAdmin is more lightweight, faster, customizable, and uses fewer resources. Your best control panel will ultimately depend on your specific needs and preferences. From a user perspective, the cPanel control panel is a good option for managing your website and website content.

I hope the information above could help you to clear your thoughts on cPanel Vs. DirectAdmin control panels.

------------------------
    Regards,
    Rex M

+ Post New Thread