PDA

View Full Version : living on the internet

p0tent
02-15-2017, 05:06 PM
I live on the internet. Pretty much literally. Being broke but having tons of free time, I can pick whatever I enjoy doing, and I enjoy talking to strangers, googling interesting facts, and checking websites people tell me about. It sure beats feeling miserable and inferior all day.

I've spent a lot of time on a forum that has existed since 2002 and has had more than 90,000 people register on it. But it elects its mods and admins, and the one being elected right now is so unstable that they are unable to know the difference between right and wrong. I've seen that with my own eyes. I still like that place and plan to spend some time there because I know a lot of people there and get along with them, but who knows when power will randomly be vented on me. That's why I was looking around for other places to live online, and realized that a forum talking about what I do, which is life on the internet, is pretty much perfect.

I wouldn't have survived to age 51 without help from supportive family. That messed with my dignity and self-worth and made me hard to get along with, but I like to think that I've grown up now. I get less than half of a minimum-wage income from the government but don't do anything to earn it. I enjoy being in the mood to crack jokes and share laughter, but also to chat casually and have serious conversations. Fast-moving threads are the best, as is moderated real-time chat, but I know that other people live much more in the physical world than I do, and I don't think anyone owes me anything, so slow threads are fine too.

Because people have hurt me very badly by hiding their motives and manipulating me, I'm pretty obsessed with full disclosure, so here's mine. What I'm planning to do here is get to know how things work, get to know the active regulars, and ease myself into the forum life if I'm a good fit. I'll try not to be crazy-dynamic but it can be hard sometimes, because for a guy who sits in a chair all day I am pretty dynamic. I just don't like too much responsibility and obligation. My best feeling is when someone else feels good because of something I said, but I can also be pretty direct and don't like blowing people off with false politeness. It takes special people to get along with me. I hope you are.

Stellajones
05-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Thanks for sharing this post.