PDA

View Full Version : Downside of a HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) - inaccessible site?

Fli
08-14-2024, 10:50 AM
QUESTION:
When I enable HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) header and my SSL certificate is expired or other way stops working, does it mean that my website become inaccessible via insecure HTTP thanks to said header?

ANSWER (by a chatgpt https://pizzagpt.it/en ):
Yes, when you enable HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) on your website, you instruct browsers to only communicate with your server over HTTPS for a specified duration. This means that if your SSL certificate is expired or if there are other issues with your HTTPS setup, users will not be able to access your site at all using HTTP. Instead, browsers will enforce the HSTS policy and will not allow a connection to the insecure HTTP version of your site.

Here are a few key points to understand regarding HSTS and an expired SSL certificate:

1. **Permanent HTTPS Redirection**: HSTS forces browsers to make requests over HTTPS, effectively preventing users from accessing the HTTP version of your site.

2. **Certificate Issues**: If your SSL certificate is expired or invalid, browsers will display a security warning or error page when users attempt to visit your site over HTTPS. This means that while they can't access the insecure HTTP version either, they also won't be able to access your site securely.

3. **Potential Lockout**: If HSTS is configured and the SSL certificate becomes invalid, users who have previously visited your site will be "locked out", as they will not have the option to fall back to HTTP.

4. **Preload Lists**: If your site is on an HSTS preload list (which is a list of sites hardcoded into browsers to enforce HSTS), the behavior is even more stringent, as users will always be directed to use HTTPS, regardless of how they attempt to access your site.

In summary, while HSTS improves security by preventing access over unsecured HTTP, it can result in inaccessibility if there are any issues with your HTTPS configuration or SSL certificate. It's essential to maintain a valid SSL certificate and to monitor your HTTPS setup to avoid such scenarios.

-----

I am reluctant to enable this HSTS header because I do not want to lock out users in case of a non working SSL, is my worry false?

What is you take on this?