PDA

View Full Version : Can i confirm two IPs belong both to one hosting company client?

Fli
01-29-2024, 11:14 AM
When a web hosting company sells an IPv4 subnet to a customer and i know one or two IPs that i suspect may belong to one person, can i anyhow verify or confirm or with high likelihood say that the two IPs is likely used by one client and not two clients of that hosting company?

This is opinion of the ChatGPT (may be wrong):

It is not possible to definitively confirm that two IP addresses belong to the same client without proper access to the web hosting company's internal data and network infrastructure. As an external party, you have limited visibility into their systems. However, there are some techniques you can use to make an educated guess with reasonable likelihood.

1. Reverse DNS lookup: Perform a reverse DNS lookup on both IP addresses. This may provide you with the domain names associated with the IP addresses. If the domain names are similar or belong to the same website/application, it is likely that they are owned by the same client.

2. WHOIS lookup: Conduct a WHOIS lookup on the IP addresses to gather information about the owners. While this may provide some details about the organization or individual associated with the IP addresses, it may not always yield accurate or comprehensive results.

3. Traffic analysis: Monitor the network traffic coming from both IP addresses using tools like packet sniffers or network monitoring software. If the traffic patterns, protocols, or destinations are similar, it could indicate that the IPs are being used by the same client.

4. Contact the hosting company: Reach out to the hosting company and explain your suspicions. While they may not disclose any confidential customer information, they might be able to confirm if the IPs belong to the same client.

Keep in mind that IP addresses can be shared among multiple clients due to various factors, such as the use of load balancers or proxy servers. Additionally, hosting providers may use network address translation (NAT) to assign multiple clients the same IP address.

Ultimately, without complete visibility and cooperation from the hosting company, you cannot be certain about the relationship between the two IP addresses.

The Linux command to perform a reverse DNS lookup of an IP address is "host". You can use it in the following format: host IPaddress