+ Post New Thread

Thread: How to run TDU1 on Windows 10

Administrator

How to run TDU1 on Windows 10

This tutorial is for Windows 10, if you have Windows 7, check: How to run TDU1 online on Windows 7

Issues with Windows 10:

It can be tricky to run Test Drive Unlimited 1 on the Windows 10 OS because TDU1 DVD is claimed to use SecuROM v7 kind of protection.
    And Windows 10 do not support SecuROM if i am correct.
    As my laptop do not have DVD ROM, i tried many CD grabbers/image creators to create image that i will mount as virtual DVD ROM and play the game. But no luck, it always failed thanks to SecuROM.

Workarounds:

a) install lower version of the Windows (Maybe W8) and run TDU on lower version of the Windows
    b) apply the no CD cr*ack into the TDU directory (mentioned below on how to do it)
    c) do not play TDU1

Play TDU1 on Windows 10:

0) Game package (image file, patch, keys) torrent download details are here or here. Alternative download and tutorial (untested by me) is here (possibly right package is "ISO Version of original DVD (version 1.66A)").

1) Install game through physical DVD or .iso image mounted as virtual DVD ROM & install mega pack, serial keys (mirror). Megapack possibly not needed, maybe better to later install Platinum car pack mentioned below.

2) Install Test Drive Unlimited Patch 1.66A TDU_PC_Patch_166A.zip (unmodified, see alternative DLs)

3) REDUNDANT (Platinum pack mentioned later may already include it): apply no-CD crack that is made for v. 1.66A: htd-tdu6.zip (VirusTotal clean, unmodified, see alternative DLs)
    replacing original TDU1 .exe file located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited

4) copy your TDU1 online profile folder into C:\Users\YOURUSERAMEHERE\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\savegame\YOYURNICKNAME
    In the savegame folder have to be also file ProfileList.dat . If you don't have profile, you will create new in game.

5) REDUNDANT (Platinum pack mentioned later may already include it): download Project Paradise Mod (if you want to play online multiplayer): https://turboduck.net/forums/topic/30648-test-drive-unlimited-project-paradise-v003a-public-beta-available/ (official forum thread, subscribe)

6) launch "TDU - Project Paradise Launcher" exe file, because stock exe file will fail to connect new TDU1 multiplayer server/s!

7) select your existing online profile in the game (if not have one, create new). Confirm that the nickname is valid. Tick the tickbox of GameSpy. Do NOT touch/modify your email and password. And execute. Profile should be loaded and you be on the Hawai along with other players all around the world ).

8) Platinum pack - if game works and you have some backup space, you can add more than 100 additional cars to the game using Platinum pack by Milli. Quit the game and backup whole C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited and then apply the Platinum pack over mentioned directory:
    download 1 or download 2 . The downloaded files should have some kind of readme/installation text file so follow it. Subscribe to the discussion topic under link "download 1" and ask there if you have any issue.
    After done, download and apply also Platinum patch 1.12: https://turboduck.net/files/file/85-test-drive-unlimited-platinum-patch-update/

Issues and possible solutions (use Ctrl+F):
    - game does not start (the small game window with black background appear for a second) - try to apply Project Paradise launcher d3d9.dll to the game directory, and launch PP exe. Search "black" below on this page for next tips.
    - can not find d3dx9_43.dll - After i have downloaded and ran DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) (directx_Jun2010_redist.exe) it extracted files and i run extracted DXSETUP.exe file, it install DX update.
    Win.+R; dxdiag; shows that i am running DirectX 11. Then i install graphics card drivers using SDIO (Snappy Driver Instraller Origin) - i would consider this step as risky and would reboot computer without this, and only if still not working, i would try drive update, reboot or mentioned SDIO driver update. Game started launching through Paradise launcher.
    - connecting to testdrive server - unable to connect - try to delete TDU from Windows firewall and any other firewall. If that does not help, try to add it again among allowed firewall apps, try temporarily disabling firewall or try using a VPN to connect, example service: https://protonvpn.com has free plan you can use to just create online profile and then connect normally? or https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/products/vpn/ but i suggest setting up own server because it will allow you to open port 8889 - connect more TDU players
    - game does not show menu/connecting to TestDrive server - what worked was to check firewalls of my computer. One may try to disable these temporarily and if start working, then add/allow TDU - Project Paradise Launcher.exe in firewall. Else, try second attempt to connect server once first timeout.
    - game black screen in project paradise, not without it - Go to testdriveunlimited.exe properties -> select compatibility tab -> change settings for all users -> change high dpi settings -> check both "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in Settings" and "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and set Scaling performed by "Application". This will solve the issue. (feedback welcome regarding this workaround)
    - game black screen even without project paradise - another cause of the black screen and game exit may be wrong audio format. Right click the speaker icon on the bottom right of the screen>Volume mixer>Click the icon for what you are using>Go to advanced tab and select any option but surround options.
    - crashing issue after installing project paradise, but the base game working: Go to testdriveunlimited.exe properties -> select compatibility tab -> change settings for all users -> change high dpi settings -> check both "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in Settings" and "Override high DPI scaling behavior" and set Scaling performed by "Application". This will solve the issue.
    - game crash when launching race/challenge in game - try downloading this patch (if not available, try downloading torrent mentioned in initial first step 0 on this page above via torrent client and selecting appropriate sub-folder - Race crash fix) then copy downloaded IGE folder to C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\ overwriting existing IGE folder and its contents (possibly making backup before?).
    - game crash when switching to certain vehicle and now on every start - A) have backup of your TDU profile from earlier date? It can help to backup file C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\savegame\YOURNICKNAME\playersave\savegam e, replace original file by the file from your older profile backup or B) backup whole folder C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\savegame\YOURNICKNAME\ move this folder away and create new same name profile, drive some car, maybe one that you already have in other profile, exit game, recover the \savegame\YOURNICKNAME\playersave\savegame file replacing original (having backup), maybe game switched to other car and will no longer crash as a result. Sell that errorneous car in you house/Trade tab. Feedback welcome to this, as it is just experimental advice so far.
    - game crash maybe once per hour - try using the exe files coming with the patch 1.12 withing the folder ../TDU Platinum Update Patch v1.12/Extra/4gb Executables/ ; GPU drivers update? Uninstall network adapter device drivers from Device manager?
    - can not see any other players - when leave house, challenges and hit "m" key to see the map you can see red dots as players, but not see them in-game? 1. you need to wait maybe even 3 minutes (usually under 1 minute). 2) You may also not connect some players if you have not forwarded port 8889 on your router, or not enabled DMZ on router for your LAN PC. You need to search in your router device settings or your router name and port forwarding on search engines to discover how to do it. 3) TDU1 menu "Options" / "Online" has tickbox for Online interactions - make sure it is allowed. To meet with other people, go to less crowded places on the map. GPS/globe orange icon means unable to connect someone(or anyone?), static blue means no one near to connect.
    - scenery begins to disappear until there is no road - Use the 4gb executables files, provided with the Platinum pack update patch linked earlier in the tutorial.
    - game works on one computer and not on another - in my case both computers was Windows and both 64 bit, so i copied following 3 directories from working computer to non working (first renaming all old directories on destination computer): Program Files (x86)/Atari (for 32bit Windows folder may be "Program Files"?), ProgramData/Test Drive Unlimited , Users/MyUsername/My Documents/Test Drive Unlimited
    - car not visible/invisible or game crash repeatedly when switching to some car - try to download platinum pack if not done already (TDU Platinum v1.0.zip) and extract TDU/Euro/Bnk folder out of it replacing original folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk contents (after making backup). If not working, you did it wrong or you can get back to the previous working state of the game by restoring file C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\savegame\YOURNICKNAME\playersave\savegam e (or playersave?) if you do not have backup, then i do not know the solution, maybe playing with the files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atari\Test Drive Unlimited\Euro\Bnk\Vehicules or creating new profile after backing up existing.
    - player/user nickname icons/symbols color meaning: in-game nicknames of other players have different colors and icons before the name, read here the meaning.
    - Car list and Euro Bnk Vehicules files and car names (Platinum pack): https://pastebin.com/s17SPEtu
    - how to quickly switch between keyboard/wheel/gamepad controller profile in TDU1 - these settings are saved in file C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Test Drive Unlimited\savegame\YOURNICKNAME\playersave\commond t.sav
    - money hack/cheat: https://internetlifeforum.com/computers-technology/15210-how-money-hack-cheat-test-drive-unlimited-1-a/
    - remove fog from TDU1 Platinum pack: download here Remove fog from TDU1 Platinum pack with PP.zip or here updated version here
    - how to tune car performance, physics? - try software called TDUF, here is the tutorial
    - Official FAQ for TDU PP: https://turboduck.net/guide/test-drive-unlimited-r3/
    - Alternative tutorial/downloads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVfwaDEe5PU
    --------
    Logitech G27 wheel fix: tdu-pp-g27 (TDU1 Project Paradise G27 fix).zip
    Xbox One installation with Wireless BT USB adapter: https://internetlifeforum.com/computers-technology/17495-how-install-xbox-one-gamepad-bluetooth-wireless-usb-dapter-windows-7-a/#post36102
    Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TDUPPGroup/

Is this useful / helpfull? Yes | No
    Thanks for the info m8t, got TDU to work on 10, tried PP but it crashes right afther start, msi aftherburner is not running. Any ideas?

Administrator

What means "not running", what are symptoms (error message with details) and what exactly happening. Try with and without afterburner.

Thanks for this!

+ Post New Thread